How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi Can I take a sabbatical from my marriage I would like

Resolved Question:


Can I take a sabbatical from my marriage? I would like to leave the marrital home for 3 -6 months and then intend to return. Could he divorce me for abandonment?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.


If you leave for that period of time, the facts which could conceivably be citied on the divorce petition are that of unreasonable behaviour or adultery.


He could cite the separation as a particular of unreasonable behaviour along with others (eg. lack of emotional support, not social life together etc etc), but the actual separation cannot in and of itself be used to obtain a divorce solely based on separation - rather it could be included as part of the examples of unreasonable behaviour which he could cite in a petition.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.


Kind regards,



Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you