How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 47914
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can i travel to america if i have a suspended sentence i received

Resolved Question:

Can i travel to america if i have a suspended sentence i received this in spain re to my ex wife accusing me of something i didnt do as she lives there. i wish to take my children next year to florida and need to know.

Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 7 years ago.



I presume you were arrested at the time?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no in spain you have whats called a denouncia then it just goes to court we were in court the other day but they dont sentence you for up to 4 months but the lawyer said if i lose i will get a suspended sentence lasting 3-5years but need to take the children to visit relatives to florida next year
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 7 years ago.
So is this technically a criminal record?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 7 years ago.

In that case you will need a visa as you are not eligible for the Visa Waiver Programme if you have been arrested or have a criminal record. You would need to make an application to the US Embassy for a visitor's visa and would need to attend an interview, but it would not necessarily stop you travelling to the US.


Please press the ACCEPT button. You would then also be able to ask any follow-up questions you may have. Thank you.

Ben Jones and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you