How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Following my Q, answered by Thomas yesterday, please may I

Resolved Question:

Following my Q, answered by Thomas yesterday, please may I ask the following? We are in the process of making a formal legal complaint about our solicitor (conflict of interests/malpractice) but are supposed to exchange contracts for a sale (the cause for concern) this Friday. Do we jeopardise any future claim or possible compensation by selling the part of the farm that remains to us (the liquidators are selling the rest at the same time to the same buyer.) Many thanks in advance, Lynne
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.

Hi Lynne,


Can you confirm - you are making a claim against a solicitor who is acting in the sale of some land this Friday. You are also asking about selling some separate land in different transaction unrelated to the solicitor and you want to know if this unrelated sale will affect any claim you make against the aforementioned solicitor?


If I have misunderstood please clarify.


Kind regards,



Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for replying, Tom. NOT SEPARATE LAND SALE & SAME SOLICITOR

Our solicitor is acting in the sale and contract exchange of the remaining 12.6 acres & farm buildings of Rolston Seats Farm ,HU11 5AA, this Friday (the liquiidator took the farmhouse when our solicitor went bankrupt . This sale and the solicitor in our complaint are one and the same Let me know if you require more information (01964 564 984) Lynne

Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.

Hi Lynne,


This is something that you need to take specific advice on from another solicitor n your area who you can take details of the transaction. JustAnswer really is not the forum for these types of enquiry I'm afraid, it's for more general advice like your question yesterday.


You are entitled to ask that your file is released to you from the solicitors, if you have not paid their fees they may seek to claim a lien on the file (ie. to retain it until their legal fees are paid) but you can attempt to leverage your complaint against them.


Sorry I could not help in any details, there is no need to click accept to this but please acknowledge this post and I shall request that you are refunded by the moderators for this question.


Good luck,


Kind regards,



Thomas and 3 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you