How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dad passed away im mourning lonely cant support myself financially My

This answer was rated:

My dad passed away im mourning lonely cant support myself financially
My boyfriend/fiance is the only one supporting me but is in ghana.
I am a british citizen really want him to help me through but dont know what to do to letb him join me for a little while. I livedvwith him when my dad passed away in ghana for three months.
I currently do not work.



You have my sympathies.


To clarify, are you asking how your fiance can come to this country and if you want him to come temporarily as a visitor or with a view to a longer term stay?



Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Im kind of deperate right now, either way whichever is more realistic. I thought i could do it on my own but i clearly cant im emotionally recked.Preferably long - term.



Well, the quickest way to get him over would be by way of a visitor's visa. He would have to apply directly to the British embassy in ghana for a 6 month visa. He would have to show that:-

  1. He wants a visa for no more than six months ( a statement from him and a letter from you explaining the reason for the visit);
  2. He intends to leave at the end of the 6 months (statement from him)
  3. He has enough money to support himself with the need to access public funds (ie. bank statements)
  4. He does not intend to undertake paid or unpaid work (statement)

Provided he can show the above he can come here for a 6 month period.


It would take a lot longer (2 month minimum) to apply for a fiance visa. He would have to apply to the British Embassy showing that:-

  • You plan to marry ere within 6 months
  • That you will live here permanently as man and wife
  • that you have met before
  • that there is somewhere for you both to live without the need to access public funds
  • that you can support each other without the need to access public funds
  • neither of you are under 21 years of age.


He would not able to to work so if you are in financial difficultly the it would be difficult to obtain a fiance visa in this way I'm afraid, and going for a 6 month visitor's visa would be th better option.


Were he to apply for a fiance visa he would need to to apply for settlement (ie. fiance visa) by using VAF4 Settlement, available for download from UKBA's website. It would be best for either a solicitor in the UK to prepare it in consultation with both you and your wife before submitting it.


Your wife can find Uk immigration solicitors through the following Law Society Website search engine:-


I'm very sorry it could not be better news.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.


Kind regards,



Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you very much i am going to speaak to him and get back to you



If you are happy with the answer please kindly click Accept so that I receive credit for my time.


Your question will not close. If you require further infroamtion at a later time there is no need to post a further quesion - you can simply reply to this thead and I will answer for you at no extra charge.

Kind regards,



Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What if was able to enroll him in a university course as he is currently studying with ACCA

It all depends on the Court in question. I attach a link to the student page of the UKBA website so that you can reference it against the course you think is suitable to see if he is eligible:-


I would warn though, that it will probably take a longer time for him to obtain a student visa than a visitor one. If you want him here quickly then you should opt for a visitor's visa.

He can always return home at the end of it and then make another application for a student visa. He should not overstay his visitor's visa as this will severly impede any subsequent application he would wish to make.


I hope this clarifies, if so please click accept.


Kind regards,



Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you