How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an EEA nationality(and my children as well), but my wife

This answer was rated:

I am an EEA nationality(and my children as well), but my wife is non-EEA(i.e.we have been married in my country from 1998 and lived there until 2004.During this time she had Residence permit there).We came to live in UK after that, and in April 2005, I got permanent job .We applied for Residence Permit (5 years), which will expire in September this year.
So ,I have over 5 years continue work .
My qestion is: can we have the right to apply for British citizenship now or we need to obtain Permanent Residence first? If so,how long after having Permanent Resident we can apply for it?



Thanks for your question.


If you are an EEA national and have lived in the UK for a continuous period of five years then you can apply for an permanent residence. You will need to have been in employment, self-employment, studying or self-sufficient in the UK throughout this period.


For your residence in the UK to be considered continuous, you should not be absent from the UK for more than six months each year. If you want to apply for permanent residence you will have to submit form EEA3 (available from the UKBA website).


Similarly your wife can also apply for PR under the same circumstances by submitting form EEA4.


Once you have received PR you can apply (straight away) if you wish for naturalistion, undergo the life in the uk test, undergo the citizenship ceremony and then apply for a UK passport.


If this is useful please kindly click accetp so that I may be rewareded for my time. It will be gratetully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.


Kind regareds,



Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your answer Mr. Tom , it is useful for me.

Could you be more precise about the time I have to apply for naturalistion after I'll got PR? I have to wait 1 year,6 months or ...


Thanks again in advance.



Sorry - my oversight - you must have held PR for 12 months before you can apply for Naturalistion.


I hope this clarifies, if so please kindly click accept.


Kind regards,


Thomas and 3 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you