How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Rose Your Own Question
Ben Rose
Ben Rose, Solicitor
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 348
Experience:  LL.B (Hons) (Hull), Pg.Dip.L.P. (York), SIIRSM
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Ben Rose is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am making a claim in the small claims court. The defendent

This answer was rated:

I am making a claim in the small claims court. The defendent has made a defence.
This written defence is very sparse and does not refer to several other reasons why he hasn't paid my fees.
When the case goes to Court can the defendent raise other matters in his defence which are not referred in the defence he submitted.
Alan Claxton

Hallo Alan


If the Defendant attempts to raise matters not pleaded you can object to them but generally, in the Small CLaims track, as litigants in person the parties are given a lot of leeway as to admissibility. It is likely that other things could be used.


Kind Regards



Ben Rose and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you