UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

How much would it cost to get a final divorce after 5 years…

Customer Question
How much would it cost...
How much would it cost to get a final divorce after 5 years seperation please
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/30/2010
Solicitor: Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate replied 8 years ago
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate

Hiya,

What do you want to know?

i have been seperated form my husband for five years and want to proceed with a final divorce as it is all making me unwell can you do this as costing as least amount of money as possible please and as quickly as possible as well thank you so much

Hiya,

You can actually do this yourself it is all quiet straightforward and I attach herewith the court guidance.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/FamilyIssuesAndTheLaw/DG_4002976

A solicitor frequently charges a per hour rate and the rate will vary from a solicitor to solicitor. You are also responsible for any court cost fees and expert fees. Court costs fees usually include fees for documentation whereas expert fees refer to the costs associated with a surveyor or barrister.

You can minimize the cost that your divorce creates by keeping your paperwork as organized as feasibly possible and trying to work with your solicitor to keep the cost of your divorce at a minimum. Frequently, a solicitor will be willing to allow you to conduct research that they normally charge for, but if you can acquire such information for them than you can reduce the costs of your divorce. For instance, your solicitor may require information about the mortgage of your home and you can acquire the information for the solicitor rather than having the solicitor for acquire it for you, you may be able to save money on additional expenses.

The most important thing to remember when you are getting divorce is that your solicitor is paid an hourly rate. Included in the hourly rate is any and all legal advice that you receive, either in person or via the telephone.

That being the case, whenever you phone a solicitor you want to be sure that you are calling only to receive straightforward legal advice and that you are not calling because your soon-to-be ex-spouse has done something to upset you or anger you in some way. Racking up the costs of your solicitor fees in a moment of anger cost you dearly in the long run and is far better to call a friend or family member when you're angry; neither your friends nor your family will charge you an hourly rate while it you vent!

If it is a simple divorce then you would be looking at between £300 and £1000 depending on your solicitors.

I hope that helps

Please remember to PRESS ACCEPT