UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I was in a rented flat with all bills included. The electricity…

I was in a rented...
I was in a rented flat with all bills included. The electricity supply was disconnected as the landlord had not paid the bills but at the time of disconnecting the wiring was found to be so dangerous it was reported to the local council who placed an enforcement notice on the building effectively evicting all the tenants as it was no,longer safe to live there. The landlord has never communicated or responded to any form of contact and the letting agent is denying any responsibility placing all issues onto the landlord. How do i claim back my deposit as I never received proof of it being placed in a Tenancy Deposit scheme despite the tenancy agreement advising this would be the case?
6/29/2010
UK-Justice
UK-Justice, Barrister
You should write to the agents and say that you want your money back within 7 days. If he does not have an agent you can use his last known address.

If he does not reply or refuses you can issue Court proceedings to the same address. Then if he does not pay, you can apply for a charging order on the property you are in.
UK-Justice
UK-Justice, Barrister
The agent has already stated several times he is not liable so I fully expect a refusal to pay so how do initiate court proceedings and what is a chargiing order for the property I am in?
Then you should issue proceedings against both. It does not cost any extra.
Thats fine and no extra is always good! I still would like to know the first step for court proceedings and what a charging order is, thanks
www.moneyclaim.gov.uk - you fill out forms online. A charge is like a second mortgage - he can not sell the property without you being paid out first.
Okay got it now thanks very much!
Welcome.