UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

i have been accused of being bitchy at work , but not officially.

Customer Question
i have since been moved...
i have been accused of being bitchy at work , but not officially. i have since been moved to another department . i am not being told what i have done
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/29/2010
Solicitor: Ben Jones, UK Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer

Hi

How long have you worked there? Is your new job different than your old one?

i,ve worked there for 21 years have been moved to different department i am general worker
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX you were moved to a different department did your contractual job change at all, or do you generally do odd jobs anyway?
my contract states that i am a general worker . i have been told that because i worked with my sister (she has been accused also) that they have moved me for my own protection. but they will not tell me what i have done because they say that it is informal eg: manager got a whisper about it
OK, I will need to consult on this first so I will get back to you later on. You will get an email when I have answered your question. Thanks for your patience
can i insist on being told what the accusation was
i feel that because we are siblings we have been segragated

What your employer has done may be a breach of contract although it very much depends on whether you have it specified in your contract that you only work in your old department. If that is the case then moving you to a new department may amount to a change to your contractual terms without your approval.

In general, your employer can only change your contractual terms with your agreement or if it is allowed under your contract or a collective agreement you have entered into. If they try and change your terms without agreement, then that could amount to unilateral changes to your contract and, potentially, breach of contract.

If the changes are introduced forcefully then you have the following options:

1. Accept them, start working on the new terms and don't take the matter any further.

2. Start working on the new terms but making it clear to your employer (preferably in writing) that you are ‘working under protest'. This means that you do not agree to the changes but are only working them because you are forced to. In the meantime try and resolve the issue with your employer by informal discussions or through a formal grievance.

3. If Option 2 does not get you anywhere then you may wish to consider taking the final step and resigning. If you do so, you would need to resign without undue delay so as not to give an impression that you had accepted the breach. Then you can claim constructive unfair dismissal in an employment tribunal. You would have to argue that your employer had committed a fundamental breach of contract and that you were left with no other option but to resign. Be aware though that you only have 3 months from the date you resign to submit your claim.

But in any case, your employer can legally introduce the changes if they give you sufficient notice to terminate your current contract and then re-employ you on a new contract, which incorporates the changes. Technically that would still be a dismissal so unless your employer can justify that there was a valid reason for the changes in the first place then you may have a case for unfair dismissal and you can make a claim in the same way in an employment tribunal.

Please press the ACCEPT button to proceed. You would then also be able to ask any follow-up questions you may have. Thank you.

Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
can i insist to know what i have said that is bitchy
You can ask for access to your personnel file, which may contain this information. But otherwise you can request your employer to reveal that, but you can't force them to