UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

If a party has not pursued any claim against an agreement (in…

Customer Question
If a party has not...
If a party has not pursued any claim against an agreement (in this case verbal) for over 5 years don't their rights expire?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/29/2010
Solicitor: Thomas, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer

Thanks for your question.

In the case of a contract (ie. the oral contract here) then if a person has not pursued a breach of contract within 6 years from the date of the origininal breach (ie. the earliest date at which they could have sued) then they are time barred by the Limitation Act 1980 and their case would be thrown out.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom

Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Hi -if the agreement was made 6 years ago, but no payment made (in fact because of disputes over the services etc..) is that the date from wich the 6 years starts?? What does the act state??

The period will run from the first time the other person could sue. If money should have been paid but wasn't then it will run from that date.

THanks for the kind accept.

Kind regards,

Tom