UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

Hello ,my name is James, i would like to know wheather its…

Customer Question
Hello ,my name is XXXXX...
Hello ,my name is XXXXX XXXXX would like to know wheather its legal or illegal to record a face to face verbal conversation on to the mobile phone involving myself with the subject, Plz understand theres nobody involved its only me and the subject
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/29/2010
Solicitor: Ben Jones, UK Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer

Hi

What are you going to use the recording for? Will the subject be aware of the conversation being recorded?

well, let me be more specific for you to understand this situation.
Today which is the 29th of june,my wife had an antenatal scan at the hospital,right from the time we entered in i could make out the attitude of the sonographer was not acceptable, we had a few little conversations to which i felt she was absolutely not right in giving us the required information concerning the baby and my wife etc......... and on a few occassions her response was not appropriate.

Anyway, as we were about to leave i thought it would be better to record the conversation which i wanted to,,, but unfortunately i might have pressed a wrong key and nothing got recorded at all.hence i called up the complaints department at the hospital and spoke this lady, explaining the situation as to what went wrong,because i was really frustrated and really angry at the sonographer because of the fact that my wife was very upset about sonographer's attitude which obviously made me more anxious to report her
and in the due course of explaining the situation to the lady from the complaints dept through the phone i also said that i did want to record the conversation but unfortunately theres nothing which has been stored or recorded, hence theres no evidence, to which she all of a sudden responded back saying its illegal and u should not be doing it, to which i said well there's nothing recorded at all, but she said she would also have to mention about this taping to the manager as per the policies of the trust to which i said u could do so but for the fact theres nothing been recorded, BUT to which i again asked her to make sure that she makes a note that its not recorded................

Now i would like to know will this become an issue and effect me in any manner? the fact that i told her honestly that i did want to record but theres nothing recorded.

Thank you Ben

Do you work for the hospital or have anything to do with it?
Well, Ben i dont work for the hospital, i myself am a professional Nurse but have nothing to do with the trust etc......

OK, in this case from a civil/criminal point of view you haven't done anything wrong. Recording conversations for private purpose is not illegal, even if the other party does not know about it. You will have stricter responsibilities if you recorded it in the course of a business, but not otherwise. In addition, you did not even record anything so technically you have not done anything wrong.

The other consideration is a professional one. You are no doubt aware of the NMC Code of Conduct, which says that if you bring the profession into disrepute, then you may be struck off. This is a very long shot though in your case so I would not really worry about it and I would only get concerned if criminal charges are brought against you, which is extremely unlikely in this case.

Please press the ACCEPT button to proceed. You would then also be able to ask any follow-up questions you may have. Thank you.

Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Ben thank you very much for this explaination. well, Ben i would like to know if you do practice privately, if so i would like to have your contact details, because i have a few immigration applications to be made and also a family dispute involving my friend and his wife( between the couples) , legally they would like to go in for a divorce.

it would have been kind enough if u would let me know.
Thank you
James.

I am sorry James but under the terms of this site we are not allowed to give out our contact details. Plus I mainly specialise in employment law and would not be able to deal with the immigration and family law issues you have I'm afraid.

You can of course ask your questions for other experts on here or search the Solicitors Regulation Authority for local lawyers specialising in the fields you need:

http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/choosingandusing/findasolicitor.law

Best of luck!