UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I have been misled by Scottish and Southern Electricity. I…

Customer Question
I have been misled by...
I have been misled by Scottish and Southern Electricity. I gave a reading to them on 21/04/2010 and was informed I was owed £360.00 which they sent me. Now 2 months later they are demanding £304.29 claiming that the calculation for the readings I gave were not used in and the calcullation has bee taken from 03/08/2009 to 10/03/20010. I was assured in a telephone call that the readings I gave were up to 21/04/2010 and we were all square. I am in a position to pay this and have a letter admitting this I had been lead to believe in april 2010 that I was entitled to the refund and the account was ok.

Is there anything I can do to avoid paying this ammount to them?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/29/2010
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 8 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Have they given you the new meter readings?
Yes they stated in their letter that meter reading were taken "around the 14/05/2010. Do you need the actual reading, and why would they say around 14/05/2010 dont they know when readings are taken?

Ultimately you can refuse to pay.

its a fairly low amount so they may not bother suing. If they do sue though they will need to show how they arrived at that amount. If they can do that, it will be found against you.

its no defence to liability to say that they made a mistake I'm afraid.

I dont accept this answer and would like to withdraw my pledge of £22.00 as I have been misled. I have a letter stating as much. Please do not try to collect my pledge as I will be seeking further advice from another legal rep with regard to thye comsumer protection act and the companys responsibility to consumers. Thaanks
Ok. Good luck.