UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

Hi My wife is disabled and I have been looking after her full…

Customer Question
Hi My wife is disabled and...
Hi
My wife is disabled and I have been looking after her full time since 2006. Therefore I have been receiving income support since that time.
I have just had a visit from a rep from the ‘income support’ agency, claiming that I had an account containing more money than the max savings (£6000) allowed to be able to receive income support. On investigation I have found out that that said account was the one set up for my son by my wife and I (with my wife and I as trustees). My son was to be given access to this account when we felt he was mature enough to use it, between 18 and 21 (my son is 18 now). My son was declared disabled at 5 (but lost that official status at 16 though he still has the disability); therefore we wanted to give him the best start in his adult life.
Will 'income support' see that it was a fund (which now exceeds £20,000) set up for my son, or will they likely prosecute me for claiming income support under false pretences?
Also is there anything I can do to help my own position?
Regards
Paul
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/29/2010
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 8 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
What have the benefits agency said?