UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

hiya im looking after some advice please as soon as possible,my…

Customer Question
hiya im looking after some...
hiya im looking after some advice please as soon as possible,my eldest daughter who is 15 in september has decided she now wants to see her dad,to which she hasnt had any contact with him for at 5years,we;ve had a couple of visits from him,the last one being over 12months ago where he turned up drunk with his nephew (who she quite openly admits that she knows he takes drugs) and she was scared,he does have a bad drink problem has done for a few years,thats why contact was stopped.im trying to explain to her that i cant just allow her to go see him just like that,with the drink problem and the not seeing her for a few years i need to do it the right way im just trying protect her but shes not understanding at all,im not stopping her i just want it done right for her own safety,is there any advice u could offer,am i doing the right thing?i cant understand why she wants to go into this kind of lifestyle
thanks
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/29/2010
Solicitor: Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate replied 8 years ago
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate

Hiya,

The courts support both parents being in the life of a child and that is why the courts will under the Childrens Act encourage co-operation and joint involvment. I note your concerns and think that if your daughter is to see her father again there may well be some merit in setting out a structure to those meetings - as such you may wish to suggest that you or her write to him or contact him in such fashion to suggest that if they are to meet again then they start by meeting in some public places - perhaps in this case either late morning or lunchtime and put some structure into the meetings.

It is not uncommon for a child at your daughters age to want to know more about both parents - structure now may well prevent her from going it alone and meeting him in any event

I hope that this helps

Please remember to PRESS ACCEPT

Hiya,

I hope that this helps

Please remember to PRESS ACCEPT so that I can get my credit

All the Best

Peter