UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

Hello i was convicted of an accident that was not my fault…

Customer Question
Hello i was convicted of...
Hello i was convicted of an accident that was not my fault an old lady walked out off her drive and behind my car (limmosine) and i did not see her whilst reversing and run knocked her down with serious leg injuries. At the court i was not represented and i was in the court room for about 5 mins where they did not listen to my account of the event and was given a CD10 code,8 points on my licence and a ?375 fine.
Well that was 2 years ago and it is severely affecting my work as i am an LGV(HGV) driver and it is difficult to continue my career as some companies will not allow drivers to drive with 6 points or more on the licence due to the insurance.
Can you please advise on what i can do ive done 2 years of the endorsement time and im looking for a way to get either the ponts reduced or the time so please i have a young family and its really taking its toll now,
Thanks for reading this and i look forward to your reply in this matter thanks again David Cullum
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/29/2010
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 8 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Can you tell me why it was thrown out?
Because i was told that i was to be represented in a crown court and i could not afford this due to not being able to continue in my work as a driver
I’m sorry, it could not have been thrown out for that reason, unrepresented defendants appeal all the time?
ok then what can i do then the judge at crown court told me that i needed a solicitor in that court and dismissed the appeal that was what i was told also i was not given any photographic evidence that was taken at the scene by the police to explain my story in my defence

I think then that was probably because your account does not amount to a defence.

Come what may, if you reversed into a pedestrian you are guilty of driving without due care and attention which is the fundamental problem you had. Its very easy for the Crown to prove that. They really only need a collision.

In any event, you did appeal and it was rejected. you would be time barred from beginning one now anyway as you had 21 days from sentence even if you could get over that hurdle.

I am sorry but there's nothing that can be done about this now.