How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michael Holly Your Own Question
Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7108
Experience:  I have 20 years of experience as a solicitor in litigation and other areas
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Michael Holly is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am working for the NHS if i provide a medical certificate

Customer Question

I am working for the NHS if i provide a medical certificate backdated is the Trust have the right to refuse to pay me? and if i go to work after 3 hours i fool ill decide to go home are they got the right to place me as absent in the diary and not paying me for the rest of the contracted hours?
Thank you for your help
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 8 years ago.

This depends on what your contract of employment or the employer's terms anf conditions say about sick pay and absence from work.

It is common for employers to ask for a medical certificate to be provided within a certain time and for this to be a contractual term which gives them the right to refuse to pay you if it is not produced in time.

If you are absent from work due to sickness they are entitled to mark you down as sick as you did not work the hours.

I appreciate that this is not the answer you were hoping for but kindly click accept so that I get credit for it

Best wishes


Yours sincerely