UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I have been employed as a medical doctor for an independent…

Customer Question
I have been employed as...
I have been employed as a medical doctor for an independent health care provider since 1.06.10. I have a 6 month probation period. My notice period according to my contract is 3 months. According to HR my notice period is also 3 months during my probation period. I am extremely unhappy in my job and want to leave as soon as it is legally possible. How much notice do I need to give if I am on still on probation?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/28/2010
Solicitor: Joshua, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Joshua
Joshua, Lawyer
I am afraid the probationary period does not overrule or affect the notice period defined in the contract. If your contract says three months then that is the notice period you will need to give and vice versa.

Speak to your line manager and explain your position. You must offer to work your notice or they can potentially sue you for some or all of the cost of replacing you. Often an employer will not want to force an employee to stay in their post against their wishes as it often does not constitute the best interests of the company. THey may be prepared to release you earlier.

Worst case, try to look at the positive side which is that at least you will have paid employment whilst you find a new position.