UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I am about to separate from my wife of 15 years. We have 3…

Customer Question
I am about to separate...
I am about to separate from my wife of 15 years. We have 3 children and a home in both our names. My wife has not worked for 10 years and I cannont afford to move out and still pay the mortgage and all of the bills. What are my options?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/29/2010
Solicitor: F E Smith, Solicitor replied 8 years ago
F E Smith
F E Smith, Solicitor

Good morning,

As this is a long marriage the court will normally view the matter as a 50/50 arrangements on all capital assets including the house.

If the only viable option is the sale of the property then this would have to happen in the absence of any reasonable alternative such as you purchasing your wifes interest or vice versa. It appears from what you say that it is unlikely that either of you would be able to afford this therefore the only option appears to be a sale.

You should take urgent advice from a divorce lawyer who is likely to provide you with a free initial interview or a fixed fee interview. Mediation is also available which is a considerably cheaper option.

This answer is based on the information supplied. I hope that this answers your question. If so, I would ask you, please to click 'Accept' so that I can be paid.

Best wishes.

F E