UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

IF I MARRIED IN LAS VEGAS WOULD I NEED TO DIVORCE TO REMARRY…

Customer Question
IF I MARRIED IN LAS...
IF I MARRIED IN LAS VEGAS WOULD I NEED TO DIVORCE TO REMARRY IN THE UK
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/28/2010
Solicitor: Michael Holly, Solicitor replied 8 years ago
Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor

Yes you would, a marriage in Las Vegas would be a valid marriage in the UK.

I hope this helps kindly click accept so that I get credit for my answer

Best wishes

Yours sincerely

Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Well I understand that if I got married in Las Vegas Legally, the marriage is valid in England. But how do I know if my wedding in Las Vegas is valid? I do not remember having any specific procedure then.
Thank you very much

The law in the UK recognises a marriage in a different country as long as it is a form of marriage ceremony that is "recognisable".

This means that it does not have to be exactly the form of ceremony we have in the UK but must be some form of ceremony. Any marriage in the US would be recognised in the UK if it took place in a church, registry office or similar.

Yours sincerely