UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I have a student house and all have signed up for next year…

Customer Question
I have a student house...
I have a student house and all have signed up for next year one of the students now wants to leave dies the contract still stand
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/28/2010
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 8 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
I own a HMO student house. He has been there for 10 months he has signed another tenancy with me for 11 months but I found him on my flat roof had words with him and but it in writing to him, he them came back and said today 3 weeks after signing he might not stay on.....? What happens now does he still have to pay rent as he signed the tenant
You replied
Is this an individual let them or is the house on AST? I suppose it must be the former but just confirm.
it is a ast but for 11 months rather than 6

Then leaving would be a breach of contract and you can recover his rent from the lead tenant. Its not your problem. Its the other tenants'. They are liable to pay you X amount every month. How they do that is their problem.

They are all on individual Ast is that still the same ?

No, its not.

Individual ASTs are unusual. If thats right then you have a claim against the person who is leaving for the remaining months that are due. You would probably only get his deposit and one months' rent though.

Why has he has signed for a further 11 months and I have lost out on students for this year
I cannot really say why he has signed. Thats really a question for him.