UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

afew weeks ago i lost a set of keys, the keys had a club card…

Customer Question
afew weeks ago i lost...
afew weeks ago i lost a set of keys, the keys had a club card points card attached reading, 'if found return to Tesco's' A day later a strange man turned up at my house, fortunatly i was out but he spoke to my neighbour and gave her my keys back, he had taken them to tesco's and asked the customer service women for my address and she gave him my address and name, he then took my keys and came to find me. Tesco's have broken the data protection act. i want to know if i am in my rights to compention and if so how much?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/28/2010
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 8 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Have you had your locks changed?
No not yet they say they will send a member of their team up on monday week!!! But no mention of anhy further compensation. My car keys were also on the key ring and feel like i need to change my car as a result of this.
I don't know I have not had a written reply yet.

This may amount to a minor breach of data protection but its not likely the informatoin commissioner would have any interest in this. Its not really in the public interest as he was doing a good deed.

In any event, compensation is very low as you have suffered no loss. Probably less than £50.