UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

Hi, I currently find myself in a situation with Talk Talk,

Hi, I currently find myself in...
I currently find myself in a situation with Talk Talk, where they are invoicing me for services (telephone line and broadband) that they do not provide or 'own'.
I switched to Virgin Media for both these services and Virgin Media contacted Talk Talk and ported the telephone number to themselves and they have been providing this since 11th April 2010.
Talk Talk appear to have no record of this - something which I find impossible -and although Virgin Media now invoice me for said services and 'own' the number, Talk Talk have produced invoices for May 2010 and June 2010 and are now threatening me with Debt Collecting Agencies if I do not pay these invoices - even though Virgin Media are being paid by me for the telephone line and broadband services on the disputed number.
I am at a loss as to what to do next as Talk Talk refuse to budge on this and I feel to request payment for a service they neither own nor provide is tantamount to fraud.
Can you please advise on what I can do to get them to drop this? Surely the moment they ported my number to another company, that should be enough for them to realise they have no grounds to invoice me any further from when the service was transferred to Virgin Media.

Thanks you for your time with this.

Kind Regards

Russell Gray
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/28/2010
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
How much have they asked for?

Hello

Thanks for quick response.

Currently the invoice stands at £37.24

Regards

Russell

Are you saying that you did not give notice then?

If so, do Talk Talk demand a period of notice?

I used the 'seemless' migration service that Virgin Media offered.

I have just spoken again with Virgin Media - Manager callback - and they are very apologetic to me now, and agree that Talk Talk should not be invoicing me for this service. Virgin are now going to type me another letter with details of the 'go-live' date and they have suggested that I contact OFCOM to lodge this complaint as they also agree that to invoice for a service that they cannot possibly be supplying is tantamount to fraud.

I had been a customer of Talk Talk (previously Tiscali) for many years and I had spoken with Tiscali prior to changing to Virgin and was advised that I was no longer in any kind of fixed term contract period with them and that I could leave by just informing them - something that as far as Virgin Media are concerned would be enough for them if they ported a number out of their 'possession' to another company to cancel any account and future invoices - however for Talk Talk this doesn't appear to be sufficient for them to realise that they no longer have any grounds to invoice for this.

Well, make a complaint.

They won't sue you for such a low sum even if they do have a claim and they would seem to be in difficulty with this one.

Just send them one letter making clear that you dont' beleive you are liable and setting out the reason. Then just ignore them.

Thanks again for reply..

My fear is that they have said they just pass on all 'debts' straight to a debt recovery agency to recover their losses.

What do I do if this happens and my credit file is affected?

They could do that but you would not be liable for collection costs. In any event they would have to sue you to recover them.

They could put a note on your credit file but you can lodge a dispute over it.

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister

Ok thank you for helping me.

I have sent that complaint email via Talk Talk's website and have a copy for my records.

If they still get stupid over this and decide to send in the debt collection agency, should I just refuse them and explain to them the circumstances and advise that I will see this resolved in a county court? Should I also advise that I will also be counter claiming for all my costs in having to fight this, or keep that to myself?

Just don't give them your date of birth when they call you. Then they cannot talk to you any more as they can't identify you under the data protection act.

Just ignore everything unless you get a court summons.

If you do just defend it on the basis above. You don't really have a counterclaim though.

Ok, many thanks again and I will definately recommend you and this service.

No problem. Good luck.