UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

A dog that is allowed to walk without any control ans then…

Customer Question
A dog that is allowed...
A dog that is allowed to walk without any control ans then charges on to my garden destroying flower beds and causing damge. When challenged the owners were verbally abusive. I reported it to the police, but they seem unable to take any action of consequence. How can I resolve the situation and can I charge the dogs owners for the damage and replacement costs for the garden and property it has damaged.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/28/2010
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 8 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
How much damage has the dog done?
It has destroyed numerous shrubs, destroyed numerous baskets of expensive plants, with the cost of replacements and the cost of the gardner to do the work I would estimate in the region of £200.00 to date

If the dog has caused damage of a financial kind then you can sue the person who was in control of it at the time at the small claims court for the cost of the damage and out of pocket expenses.

You can issue here

www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

You will need his UK address. This is an act of trespass and he is liable to pay you compensation.