UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

Hi I bought a 2 leather sofas from the range feb 28th 2009.

Customer Question
Hi I bought a 2...
Hi I bought a 2 leather sofa's from the range feb 28th 2009. By the end of September I noticed a large patch of colour loss on one of the Sofa's on phoning the Range they sent a company called Home Serve out to respray it, which they did. two weeks later I noticed the stitching was torn under the cushion, I once again phoned and wrote to the Range only to be told that they would not send anyone out because I had not reported it to homeserve when they did the previous repair I tried to point out the the problem was not apparent at the time but they would not agree to even send anyone out to inspect. I was in contact with trading standards and many letters later and more colour loss on both items they agreed to send home serve once again at my expense. Home Serve would not report on the stitching and reported that the colour loss was due to misuse of sofa's!! we are over sixty and we sit on them. I then told the Range that I had no other option to have fira out and then taking it to the small claims court. The Range actually sent FIRA out and they aggreed with me that the sofa's were faulty. The range offered me a replacement of the same value but I do not feel I want anything from only a refund plus I feel that I should have some compensation for my expenses and stress for the last 10 months. am I being unreasonable. Many thanks XXXXX
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/28/2010
Solicitor: Joshua, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Joshua
Joshua, Lawyer
WHen did you first contact them originally?
I have not got the frirst date but it was the end of September.Home Serve came out 05/10/09 I emailed the Range aboutthe Stitching on the 11/11/09
Because you had the use of the item for almost a year before the fault developed (or at least before you reported it) I think it unlikely you will be able to insist on a full refund but this does not mean you are entitled to nothing.

Certainly you can require them to replace or repair the sofa (at their discretion). If they are unable to do so to your reasonable satisfaction then you can sue them for certainly a partial refund (say perhaps 75% though you could try for more - the legislation does not define precise time limits and amounts.
Hi you have got the dates wrong I bought the sofas in feb 2009 the first fault developed in september 2009 the second in november 2009 the sofas were only 7 mths old but it has taken until now to prove the fault!!
Sorry - you had the sofa for 7-8 moths before the fault developed / was reported is that correct?

Sorry yes it was an exaggeratin for me to refer to you having the sofa for almost a year but the advice I have given I believe is still correct. Often 6 months is felt to be the point at which the right to a refund disappears though it can be before.

Edited by Joshua on 6/28/2010 at 11:44 AM EST