UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I booked a holiday to Turkey through 118 Travel, Manchester…

Customer Question
I booked a holiday to...
I booked a holiday to Turkey through 118 Travel, Manchester for my Dad and Brother to go on 11th July. I paid for the holiday in full using my debit card and my address for correspondance. My Dad and brother are unable to go so I telephoned 118 Travel (Manchester) to make amendments and they allowed me to change both passenger names to myself and a friend. The lady said this was ok and I paid £85 there and then as requested . The lady said she would send the documents and receipt through the post. Days later I received the holiday booking transaction with a receipt, confirming I was the lead passenger and my friend the other passenger, together with all the holiday details (flight, hotel and break down of amount paid. They attached the amended Transfer Voucher.

Since then, I have had an only emails from 118 Travel advising only one passenger name can be changed otherwise this is classed as a cancellation (as per term and conditions which clearly state amendments to the booking are allowed). I emailed and stressed that I paid the £85 on the basis that both names were changed and I also received written confirmation through post. 118 Travel advised me to contact Gold Trail (accommodation provider) on 0871(NNN) NNN-NNNN I telephoned Gold Trail and they advised me to contact 118 Travel and not them. As the holiday is approaching, I am unsure what my rights are and not sure what to do as both 118 Travel and Gold Trail appear to be passing the book. The companies do not appear to be taking any responsibility. My friend and I have recently experienced a bereavement so we need to go on holiday. I'm also a full time student so I cannot afford to lose anymore money. PLEASE HELP!!! Many thanks Tracy
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/28/2010
Solicitor: Senior Partner, Solicitor replied 8 years ago
Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
If the agent agreed to make the changes and sent you the confirmation having taken payment then they are responsible. If they made a mistake then it is their problem If you have the booking confirmations so you should go back to them in writing ( or by email) saying so and that if they fail to deliver the promised holiday then you will hold them accountable and sue. Try and deal with the person in charge not with the person who took the booking who may be trying to cover their own mistake. If the operator is trying to class this as a cancellation to get extra payment - which seems quite unreasonable. you can also complain to ABTA but they do not have an ombudsman just a disputes procedure