UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I was dismissed from my employment for theft & falsification…

I was dismissed from my...
I was dismissed from my employment for theft & falsification of records, although I did not steal the money it was my resposibility and throughout the hearing I offered to re-imburse the company. I was asked to sign a letter allowing the money to be taken from my final salary but as this would leave me with nothing I sent a letter offering to pay back at ?100 per month. Today my salary should have been in the bank but is not I believe they have witheld all my salary. I do not yet have a payslip so cannot be certain what can I do
6/28/2010
Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Your employer is not allowed to deduct money without your consent so you could bring a claim in the employment tribunal.IF you are not paid, you should write saying it is an unlawful deduction from wages.and then bring a tribunal claim.

If you did not steal the money , why are you responsible? the fact that you may have been culpable in an employment sense does not necessarily make you responsible . However if you are responsible your employer can sue you for the money although a court might allow you time to pay. If you are nto paid you sh
Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor

could not see the final part of your answer from "if you are not paid you sh???" can you re send please

Sorry not sure what happened there! It is a repeat of the earlier part of the reply. i.e. If you are not paid you should write saying it is an unlawful deduction from wages and then bring an employment tribunal claim.
thanks you've been a great help sorry cant afford a bonus but would if i could
I have just rec'd a letter stating they are entitled to take the money as it is in my contract, is this true
is it in your contract? If it is then they can. It is not unlawful if you have agreed to it.

the contract states "where the employer sufers loss by failure by you to follow instructions or exercise dilligence"

I was dismissed for theft and deliberate falsification of records

this seems different

can you confirm please