UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I just bought a house and I have now found out that it needs…

Customer Question
I just bought a house...
I just bought a house and I have now found out that it needs structural repair. This should have been noted on the survey.

Can I make a claim against the surveyors who did the survey?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/28/2010
Solicitor: Joshua, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Joshua
Joshua, Lawyer
You need to check the terms of reference for the survey when it was instructed. THis should be contained or referenced in the surveyors terms and conditions and / or the survey report itself (often towards the beginning).

Providing the nature of the defects was not possible for the surveyor to discover and it was not unreasonably excluded from liability in the survey, you should have a valid claim against the surveyor.

What are the nature of the repairs out of interest?
It's the gable end wall. It's started to lean out. You can clearly see it from the ground.

Do surveyors have insurance for this type of claim.
Yes they should have indemnity insurance in order to practice.

I am not an expert in surveying but I would suspect that barring some sort of serious recent ground movement that has caused it, that should have been evident at the time the survey was carried out. The only way to be sure is to commission another expert report specifically on that but of the structure in order to comment on whether it should have been picked up by your surveyor.

If it agrees it should have been then you have the makings of a good case.