UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

hi after having an argument with my girlfriend i walked away…

Customer Question
hi after having an argument...
hi after having an argument with my girlfriend i walked away because there was no sign of her giving in, while walking home she followed me in her car and at times drove with what i feel was the intention to run me over. after shouting at me several times and stating that she would follow me wherever i go i reluctantly got in her car in the hope she would calm down. she didn't. Still scared of her unpredictability i got out of the car saying leave me alone, i then kicked the side of her car and slapped the passenger window with no intention to break it or cause harm. the glass did break however and glass went into her eye. i've now been arrested for GBH and released on bail. i have to go back to the police station in 1 month. any suggestions?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/27/2010
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 8 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Please tell me that you did have a solicitor at the police station with you?
yes i did. they said that the police will try and prove the intent. i made a 2 hour interview in tape and stated that i was frustrated and scared. i tried to get away from her and she chased me in her car, at one point going up the kurb with what seemed to be the intention to stop me with her car. My Ex girlfriend is a total fruit cake and very emotionally un stable!

Yes, they often are. You need to find yourself a sensible girlfriend who doesn't react violently and then call the police when she can't have what she wants. Its just as abusive to do that as it is to be violent.

Are you sure the solicitor advised you to make a comment interview? Personally I would have told you to make a no comment interview as you don't seem to have any defence.

i dont have any defence?, i was scared and was nearly hit by her car. i had no intention to cause injury.

my solicitor was appointed by the police so unsure how credible he is? this was a freak accident nothing more. would have making a no comment interview just made things worse. im too honest for my own good sometimes. on top of all this im a personnal licence holder and run a pub. worried about loosing my licence and career

No but thats still an assault and if she did sustain injuries amounting to GBH then there is no defence. I suppose he had greater vision of the case than I've had though. I cannot immediately see how this is an accident of an innocent kind? you did slap the window and have no lawful reason to do that.

A duty solicitor is just as good as any other.

Making a no comment interview is almost always the right thing to do. Honesty is not the best policy with the police although, of course, you cannot tell any lies. But saying nothing is a right that is incredibly useful. If anything, this should have been a prepared statement and a no comment interview.

I wouldn't worry about your licence for the moment. If this is a S18 thats what you should be focusing upon.

i haven't been charged and only gave my side of the story after discussing this firat with the solicitor. i cant see how they can prove intent and it wasnt dome i anger or maliciously or with intent. and i definately didn't want her to be harmed.

They probably can't prove intent. But people go to prison for many years even on a S20 and they can clearly prove that.