UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

We have a judgement against us dated 8th June, we had 7 days…

Customer Question
We have a judgement against...
We have a judgement against us dated 8th June, we had 7 days to appeal it which we did, on 19th June we received a letter dated 15th June saying we were unable to appeal but that we could ask for a hearing within seven days to find out why our appeal had failed. On the 21st June we received a letter from the claimant saying "if you don't pay by the morning of the 22nd we will enforce the judgement". I wrote them a letter that day them that we had asked for the hearing and we were waiting for that before proceeding. This morning (26th June) we received a letter from the bailiffs. What can we do? We still haven't applied to the court of appeal yet, we have only appealed the judgement in the county court that heard our case.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/26/2010
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 8 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
What is this in respect of?
The court believes we owe money = £1300 ish to someone, we dispute the claim and the judgment hence we haven't paid it yet.

It seems that your appeal has been refused so you are liable to pay. You should make arrangements to do so to avoid bailiff action which will be expensive. If you have lost the claim then you cannot now refuse to pay.

If you cannot pay the entire amount then bring this back to court and ask to be allowed to pay in installments. if you offer a reasonable amount the court will allow this.

Although we've lost this appeal, we still have the hearing and we still have the court of appeal, doesn't that mean that there should be a stay of execution?

I thought you said your appeal had failed?

The county court that heard the case has said that the application for permission to Appeal is refused but that we were allowed 7 days to request an oral hearing, we did that within the timeframe and are now awaiting the courts hearing date. We wrote to the claimants on the day they demanded payment and told them that we had requested a hearing but they still went ahead with the enforcement.