UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

Hello Can anyone help me please. I have a court case at

Customer Question
Hello Can anyone help me...
Hello

Can anyone help me please. I have a court case at Thames Magistrates on the 14th July and I wonder how can I postpone the hearing. I am currently signed off work on long term sickness - can anyone help me?

I only received the summons this morning. The other thing is the summons is from my employer a local authority legal services.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks !
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/26/2010
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 8 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister

Hi

Why can't you go to court?

Whats the summons for?

Hello

Thanks for coming back to me.

I have a long history of severe diabetes (insulin dependant) and inflammatory rheumatoid arthritis. I am also having ongoing cardiac investigations due to severe shortness of breath on exertion. My employer is attempting to prosecute me for using an alleged blue badge misuse that belonged to my mother in law. I have attempted to sort this matter out but they are being very uncooperative. This morning I received a summons. I have already given them a letter from my mother in law which states that I had been using the car to drop her off and collect her.

I am not sure what to do. They have given me 18 days to get a case together. Additionally as I am still unwell. They gave me no pre warning and they forgot to enclose a means form.

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks!

Phil

So why can't you go to court?

This is two weeks away

Hello

I do not feel well enough. A normal blood sugar level is 5-7 mine are in the high 30+.

This is the reason why, I have a medical certifcate from my GP stating that I am unwell to work. I was in Kings College for 7 days a while ago due to my diabetes and I have been told to have complete rest. To be very truthful I really do not feel well enough.

Is there anyway the hearing can be postponed, what do I have to do?

Hear back soon

Phil

But this case is two weeks away,.

Why will you feel better at another time than you do then?

Hi ya

I have been very unwell for a while and need to go to the CAB or similar to get some help but with my illnesses it takes me a lot longer to do things.

I know this is two weeks away but the first I knew of it was today.

Can a hearing be postponed and how would I do this, please answer this for me.

Kind Regards

Phil

You cannot get it postponed. You have no proper grounds.

Being unwell on the day may be a ground but you would need a doctor's certificate saying that you were unfit for court. Also, you could not get that two weeks in advance. The fundamental problem is that the court would be of the view that there's no real medical problem that would get any better at any other time.

Hello again

I would like to follow on with this. If I obtained a medical certificate stating that I was unable to attend on the day of the hearing, who would I need to give it to, ie the court on the day of the hearing or the day before, could you kindly explain what I would need to do?

Kind Regards

Phil

Are you able to get a medical certificate that says you are unfit to attend court on that particular day but will be able to attend on another day soon after?

If I've answered your original question please click on accept so that I can get feedback. I will continue to help.

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister

Hi again

Yes I have spoken to my GP this morning and he has informed me that he will write me a certificate. I have also spoken to the court and they have asked me to write in for an adjournment. They have asked me to write in with a full explanation with a certificate from my GP and any supporting evidence.

Do you think this will be enough. And yes I would be able to attend soon after.

Kind Regards

Phil

If the certificate does say that then that should be fine. Just MAKE A COPY of the certificate and send it in to the court office with a cover letter asking for an adjournment. On no account fail to make a copy.

Also, you can fax it to the court office if thats possible for you. Then you will have a copy.

That is a good reason to adjourn an appearance and there shouldn't be any difficulty.