UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I have just found out I have a warrant for my arrest. I believe…

Customer Question
I have just found out...
I have just found out I have a warrant for my arrest. I believe it is for unpaid council tax.
Unfortunately I have just recently lost my job and I am seeking work and have applied for government benefits.
I do want to pay the fine off. If I can arrange to make payments will I still be arrested?
If I am arrested what is the longest they can hold me for, as I will need to make arrangements for my pet to be taken care of.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/26/2010
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 8 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
How much is this for?
It is for £480.

If this is a council tax liability matter then they will arrest you.

You can try to make arrangements to pay in installments but, if I'm honest, they don't usually issue warrants on the first occasion of default. If there have been a number of defaults then you may be at risk of custody as a result.

Generally pets in this position are looked after by the RSPCA. They would probably be reasonable in this case as custodial sentences are not long for failing to pay council tax.