UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

4 years ago my husband ran a snap on tools franchise for a…

Customer Question
4 years ago my husband...
4 years ago my husband ran a snap on tools franchise for a short while. He was provided with a van from the company that Snap on Tools uses but from the start the condition of the van was atrocious there were numerous problems with the van which my husband complained to the company about.They did foot the cost for some of the problems but not all.The van was constantly breaking down and was off the road for quite alot of the time.This meant that he lost sales and collections from his customers as the van was his business.During this time he didn't pay for the rental of the vehicle as he wanted some kind of compensation because of it being off the road.The rental company have now instructed a solicitor and are threatening court action.We have wrote to them saying that we don't think that we should be paying for all of the debt and given them a breakdown of the problems and the fact that there where loss of sales and we know that the van was scrapped by the lease company after my husband gave it back if it was in a usable condition then they wouldn't have done this. They have offered to reduce the amount for a few hundred pounds but we don't think that this is enough and if we don't accept they will go to court for the full amount. What will happen now if they push this to court will the court be understanding to our cause we can provide a written statement from my husbands service agent saying that in his professional opion the van wasn't fit. We just don't know what to do now your advice would be greatly Appreciated. Regards XXXXX XXXXX
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/26/2010
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 8 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister

How long was it actually off road?

How much were the monthly payments and how many did he miss?

Sorry for the long delay I have been unable to get online. After asking my question my husband and the solicitors have settled on a satisfactory figure.

Thanks for your time.

Regards

Emma Hadfield

No problem.

Good luck.