UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

My father has been requested to undertake a national secuity check to undertake work…

Customer Question
My father has been requested...
My father has been requested to undertake a national secuity check to undertake work as a contractor in the priosn service. He has complete a form and has been cleared to work at CTC level, since this he has worked in three prisons one of them being at CAT A Prison.

He was then informed that a new system was in place and that a new form had to be completed which he did using the same information.This check had failed and his pervious checks had been revoked disenabling to work in the priosn he had worked in before. He has got previous convictions these being 20+ years ago and he has decleared them on the form. Can you help to why the new check would fail him if the first check did not and why he was allowed to work in the prisons
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/26/2010
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 8 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
What were his previous convictions for?

He spent two years in Borstal training for theft in the 70s, Drunk and disordley and theft all in the 70s

and ABH in the 80s they has been no other offences since the 80s

OK. When was the first check done roughly?
nov 09

Its difficult to say why this wasnt' picked up then. It was certainly after the changes so it should have been identified.

I suppose the inescapeable conclusion is that there were errors made on the first occasion. Its not that usual frankly. Antecedence is not recorded very well in the UK.

Its completely unreasonable that they've refused him for these offences anyway. The last one was nearly 30 years old. If they keep that up they'll have no staff at all.

do we have the right to find out why he was not cleared

He wasn't cleared because they found out about the previous convictions.

You can certainly ask them to comment on that. But that would be the only reason.

but he was cleared on the first form and declared his convictions then so why can they change the minds now

Possibly their requirements have changed. Or more likely they didn't review it properly.

You are entitled to ask them why they have taken that decision.

But I still do not understand why as if you have been passed for two prisons then why would you fail a third it does not make sense surely the CTC NATIONAL SECUIRTY CLEARANCE should cover all prisons and can that discrimate due to the length of the conviction
I'm not sure I can add much to this. Its as I've said above.