UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

Catalogue have phoned me and have said because the expert who…

Customer Question
Catalogue have phoned me and...
Catalogue have phoned me and have said because the expert who came out advised there is no fault to be found, and the sofa is not faulty, they will not be picking it up.
What are my rights as i have not paid for this item yet?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/25/2010
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 8 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
-Could you explain your situation a little more?

I bought a 2 & 3 seater sofa from my catalouge (which im still paying for), the 3 seater is faulty as the cushions you sit on hang over the edge alot and ofter slip off onto the floor when you get up. Recently my 18 month old son fell off due to the cushion falling, and bumped his head on the floor.

I contacted the catalouge who said they will arrange for the sofa to be piced up and i will be refunded. They sent someone out to inspect and he advsed no fault was to be found!? They are now saying they will ot be collecting or refunding me.

I am still paying for the item which is faulty and causing injury.

They are not under any obligation to offer anything at all unless a fault can be found and they are entitled to conduct their own inspections upon the point. It is very unlikely that the court would find against the expert I'm afraid so suing them is likely to be a dangerous action to take.

You can complain to trading standards for free but they are not doing anything unlawful.