UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

hi i am having problems with a car dealership from whom

Customer Question
hi i am having problems with...
hi

i am having problems with a car dealership from whom i purchased a used vehicle. i bought the car 6 months ago only for it to break down after 5 days, and then i returned it to them as it was still under their 3 month warranty. Since then i have had to deal with nothing but them avoiding me, not returning phone calls, delaying me and so on. Was told it was able to pick up this week, just been down and the car did not work at all. The dealer wasnt in but one of his minions looked blank and said he was unable to get hold of him. What rights do i have to get my money back?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/25/2010
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 8 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Can you tell me how long in total you have had the car on the road?
Well i had it on the road 5 days until it broke down.

If this is a secondhand car then you need to give them 3 attempts to repair the fault before demanding your money back.

If they are avoiding you in this way then you should complain to trading standards. That has the advantage of being free and risk free.

If you give them three attempts to repair a faulty vehicle which fail, you are entitled to your money back minus and reduction for the amount of use you've had from it. That would not be a lot in this case.

If they refuse, you can sue.