UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

Hi There,Hope you can help me. Please forgive me if what…

Customer Question
Hi There, Hope you can help...
Hi There,

Hope you can help me. Please forgive me if what you read is hard to understand for a general lawyer might be easyier for and entertainment lawyer to have a look at my query.
I am currently a pregnant actress in employment.

Due to certain medical conditions that have arisen due to my pregnancy I have been advised by my doctor to sit as much as
possible due to some of these conditions being caused by pressure on the feet and can turn into serious conditions that can
complications in pregnancy ie diabities.
I have since been seated in between sceanes
and only standing when it is required. This includes during backing singing off stage with
other cast members as it does not require me to stand to perform. I was recently pulled out of doing a specific backing
vocal because of this and told by the management that if I wanted to carry on doing backing vocals in the future that they
require all actors and actresses in the company to STAND to sing backing vocals and either I do the same or not do it at all.
This does not seem right as management knew about each of my medical conditions that I am currently suffering with and does
not seem to want to accomadate for my medical conditions or pregnancy at all. I was told that it is not possible for me to
sit during these backing vocals which are off stage and that they could not be seen to be have one rule for all and another
for one. I really don't think that arguement applys her at all. I believe my right are not being met here.

Please let me know if I have a case?
[email protected]
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/25/2010
Solicitor: Chris_H, Solicitor replied 8 years ago
Chris_H
Chris_H, Solicitor
How far pregnant are you? How do you get paid - does not singing affect what you earn?

7 months pregnant. I get paid via my agent. I have not confirmed with my agent this and I would guess it does not. But would ask even if it does not affect my pay is it right that I should be given such an altermatem when I suffer from these symtoms would they or could say the same to a disabled person? All it requires is for me to sit instead of stand in the chair (I purchased myself to accomadate them) off stage with the other backing vocalists it does not affect the show in any way I already sit on this chair in between scences for these problems. the backing vocals are sung for a short time but when I asessed where I can limit the pressure onto my feet to limit these conditions when the doctor told me to keep my feet up as much as possible this was one of the times as it is off stage. I think is is rediculus to not make reasonable allowances for a 7 month pregnant women to sitdown where it is not nesasssary to stand.

I' am I correct?

An employer does have a duty to keep you safe and technically should carry out a risk assessment and take steps to make your place of work safe once they become aware you are pregnant which may include having to allow you to sit. Failure to comply with the Health and Safety legislation would entitle you to claim for personal injury if you were injured as a result of their failure and also potentially to apply to a tribunal.

I suggest you lodge a formal grievance in writing first and point out that refusing to allow you to sit could be a breach of health and safety legislation.