UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

ive been accused of damaging a garden furniture chair in my…

Customer Question
ive been accused of damaging...
ive been accused of damaging a garden furniture chair in my neighbours garden i did climb in to the neighbours garden to fetch a football but did not use the chair to climb in to the garden or out of the garden,the police have questioned me and ive told them what ive just told you can i still be charged for the damage
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/24/2010
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 8 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
What have the police said?
they took a statement of me 2 weeks ago and ive heard nothing back from them

They could still charge you. Whether or not it would lead to a conviction is another matter.

I suppose it depends whether the chair has suffered damage. If it has been damaged then that would create difficulties for you. If it has not then they have no realistic case against you.

But a mere allegation that is denied is sufficient to give rise to a charge.

the chair has been damaged but noy by my me but she is talking about getting a solictor would i be better just paying for the chair even though i did not damage it

That would not stop the criminal proceedings.

She won't get a solicitor for a garden chair, don't you worry. And if she does, she won't be able to claim their costs back from you. She may sue at the small claims court and you may be forced to pay but there are a lot of hurdles for her to get over. If she gets a CCJ pay that obviously. But if it wasn't you, don't pay at this stage.

whats a ccj and how easy is one of them to get

Quite easy. she would have to go to the small claims court but its quite cheap to do that. The fact that the chair is damaged would probably help her to convince the court of her case.