UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

Hey I have an Ex girlfriend who has turned on me after being…

Customer Question
Hey I have an Ex...
Hey I have an Ex girlfriend who has turned on me after being apart for almost a year because i am getting married.
She has decided to ask me for 600pounds which i do not owe her and has decided to try 2 take it to court.
I am a student without other income anyway and have no police record of anything. What could come of this? and if I was to lose could i get a criminal record as this would jeporadise my chance of getting work
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/24/2010
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 8 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Are you saying you don't owe her the money?
Yes I don't owe anything, its for petty things like food shopping, and for an X Box which i gave her cash for at the time

Did you borrow this sum of money at all?

No, I payed the majority for the running of the household as i had a pretty good job and she was a student
So you did not at any time have possession of any sum of money from her? I thought you mentioned an Xbox?
i payed her this in cash, so yes i did owe her at one point. I will be able to find the bank statement showing i took this out.

I need to know what you owed her at any time.

I also need to know how she breaks down this amount.

this was the message i recieved from her:

I have no idea if you're even going to read this email or just delete it, but I hope to god you read it as this is the last email I'll be sending you. I was advised by so many people not to send this email, they didn't think you deserved the notice and the warning I'm sending. I was advised today to begin proceedings to take you to court in order to get the money I'm owed. While in a relationship I bought and paid for an XBox 360 and a guitar, total cost of over £600. While living together I bought and paid for food shopping, the cost of which was to be split. Although you made a few payments every so often, you told me to keep note of how much you still owed me. The full amount was never paid off. I then put down the deposit for your ESP guitar and set up the rest of the direct debit payments in my name from my bank account. Although you paid most of this money back, the full payments were not recieved. When we ended the relationship you promised to arrange to pay the rest of the money owed to me. The amount agreed on was £500, which I believe to be a rounded down figure but am happy to accept. In the 6 months since we have been apart you have payed £50, an amount that is not acceptable. You agreed to sort out £50 a month. You have failed to do this and I feel I can no longer trust you to make payments when promised.

If you do not reply with some arrangement to pay off the rest of the money owed, you will recieve your first official payment demand by the end of next week. You will have 14 days in which to make the FULL payment. If you fail to do so a second letter will be sent. 14 days after this you will recieve a final demand notice and 14 days later a summons to court. I was going to attatch some links to give you some info about how serious this is and about how serious I am, but I feel that so far I have been more than reasonable with you. Now that I have lost you as a friend I have nothing left to lose and will no longer help you.

You also have my Stagg guitar bag and a few suitcases from when I lent them to you so you could move back to Bolton. Please drop them off at my house in Bolton by the end of next week. My brother will be in from 4 almost every day. You still have him added on here so you can arrange a time to suit you both.

Im not sure the amount off the top of my head but what i owed was payed back. She was happy with the 50pounds I gave her for the guitar until i announced my wedding date.

She cannot get anything for the food as on her account there was no contract to repay that sum. don't lose that email as you can use it in court if she denies this later.

If there is any truth in what she says about outstanding debts then you will have to repay them .

In essence, she only has a claim if there was an agreement with you that it would be repaid. If you have been repaying sums then that would give rise to the inference that there was an agreement.

To be fair, that email reveals that she doesnt' really know what is owed either which is going to cause a problem for the court as they cannot say what is owed.

will I have a say over the court date? as she is likely to try to make this on the wedding or honeymoon

No, but she won't have any choice over the court date either. She hasnt even issued yet. She's just sent a stropy email. If she ever does, it will be months away.

who will have to pay the court fees?

and if shes sucessful would it go on my record?

If you lose you will pay. If you win she will.

It will go on your record as a CCJ. That will impact for 6 years.