UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I have recently had a credit check done against myself and…

I have recently had a...
I have recently had a credit check done against myself and Equifax have shown that I have a CCJ against my name, but will not tell me who from how do I find this out?
6/24/2010
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Do you know from how long ago?
May 2009, but I have lived at 2 different address since then, and when I first moved out of the house the CCJ has been served to I gave my forwarding address to the Letting Agent?

You can do a credit check on Experian and that will reveal the CCJ and the identity of the other party. It will also reveal contact information.

Experian used to be free but I think they are now charging something in the region of £5.99 for that service. Make sure you cancel immediately afterwards though to avoid monthly fees.

My experian credit check says I do not have a CCJ!! Only equifax, but they want proof that I am who I say I am.... which takes 2 weeks! So now I am really stuck!!!!

Experian is pretty accurate usually.

I wouldn't worry about this though. Even if you do have a CCJ, if you did not receive the papers and you let people know where you were living, it will probably be possible to set it aside.

How do I go about doing that though? Do I contact the court? How long does it take etc?

Yes, you make an application to the court to get it set aside. I can give you a link to a site with template letters if you'd like.

If I've answered your original question please click on accept so that I can get feedback. I will continue to help.

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
That would be amazing, also if you could give me a time frame, not accurate of course just somehting I can tell the job I have applied for??

Will these tell me how long I have?

for what?

until the CCJ could be removed? If I contact them at 9am tomorrow morning, and if they need a latter, send that letter recorded same day delivery, ho wlong do you think I will have to wait before my credit report will be cleared?

Oh it does take weeks if not months. Nothing about legal action is quick I'm afraid.