UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

i have won a rateable value appeal offering me 5 years compensation…

i have won a rateable...
i have won a rateable value appeal offering me 5 years compensation when i have overpaid them for 25 years. can i claim more than 5 years back as the 25 years that i have overpaid them is a total of £100,000! they are only offering me £19,000 for 5 years! many thanks ray
6/24/2010
DR Lawyer
DR Lawyer, Lawyer

Good evening,

You can, I am afraid, only claim back business rates paid up to 6 years ago under the Limitaiton Act 1980.

Regards

DR Lawyer

DR Lawyer
DR Lawyer, Lawyer

thanks for the information so far,If i was to take the city council to court for the full amount ,would i have a fair chance ? or no chance of winning?. These rates were set in 1985 when planning was granted for twenty cars only. They based my rates on 45 cars! an overcharge of 25 cars,which has only just come to light.

The city council have admitted an overcharge but will only pay back 5 years

many thanks ray

<p>could i claim the interest back from the £100,000 i payed them?or interest back from the 6 years ?</p><p>many thanks ray</p>

If you were to issue proceedings your claim would be for the return of the monies in restitution and you would be able to claim interest but only on the last 6 years payments.

Regards

DR Lawyer