UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I am considering setting up an Asset Protection Trust in order…

Customer Question
I am considering setting up...
I am considering setting up an Asset Protection Trust in order that I can leave my modest bungalow -value around £170k to my three adult children in the event that some time in the future I went into care. Are there any pitfalls and can the local authority overturn the trust.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/24/2010
Solicitor: Aston Lawyer, Solicitor replied 8 years ago
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor

Hi there,

Could you please tell me the nature of the Asset Protection Trust you intend to put into place?

Thanks

Andy M

This trust is offered by Universal Asset Protection of East Harling, Norwich

Hi again,

Thanks for your reply, but you could you tell me what the Company are suggesting you do?

Kind Regards

Andy M

The Universal Asset Protection Trust suggest that by holding my bungalow and any other assets in the trust I can secure them for my children as they can only pass to my named beneficiaries. There would be two trustees, which would cost £180 per annum and the set up fee about £3000 I would be the principal beneficiary If I went into care I must continue to recie ve a benefit from the trust in the form of rent or proceeds of sale.

Hi again,

I'm sorry but I don't know enough on this Asset protection scheme, so I will opt out in the hope that a fellow expert can assist you.

Kind Regards

Andy M

Edited by AndyM on 6/26/2010 at 2:45 PM EST