UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

Ive just recieved a summons for court, its from the tv license…

Customer Question
Ive just received a summons...
Ive just received a summons for court, its from the tv license people, do i have to attend, is there anyway i can stop this action, i had just moved into my first house and we were still renovating it when there was a knock on the door i answered it and it was one of the tv license people, we had not got around to getting a license as we hadnt properly moved in yet and to be honest slipped the mind, we did get a license after wards but they have still pressed forward with it

Found my current license which expires on the 31st December 2010, so i must have applied for it on the 31st Decemeber 2009
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/24/2010
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 8 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
How long were you without a licence?
Well the day he came we were still moving our stuff into the house so had no license at that point, ive been unable to find the tv license we bought after his visit so I am not entirely sure how long after he came that we bought one, he came on the 17th December although we still had not fully moved in until after the new year, Im going to have a another quick rummage see if i can find this license
Ive found my license it is up to date until the 31st December 2010, so must been running from the 31/12/09

Sorry Ive just seen this .

If you are summonsed to attend court then you do need to attend. Normally with TV licences there is scope to plead guilty by post.

But if you are saying that you did have a licence for the relevant period then you should attend to produce it.

Yeah but the tv license officer came to the door on the 17th december and i didnt have the license until the 31st? But as i said before i was not even fully moved into the property at the time, do you think there is any way to sort this with them without going to court, it all seems a bit over the top to me. What sort of punishment is given? Do you get CCJs or anything like that, ive no idea what im in for

In that case you are not covered.

You can plead guilty by post usually. Its just a fine. Its a criminal conviction though but not a hugely serious one.

How much of a fine is it generally? How long would something like that stay on my record?

Not a lot. Less than £100 usually.

It would stay on your basic record for five years. But its not likely that this would stop you doing anything.

You dont think i could sort this out with them before court then? Seems madness for what was essentially a couple of weeks, because the guy at the door said to me i can see that your just moving in so just get one sorted, i did, and i never heard another thing until this, seems like he played me

You could ask them to reconsider on the basis of public interest but they probably would not.