UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

Hi i hope you can give me some advise.i have work at the…

Customer Question
Hi i hope you can...
Hi i hope you can give me some advise. i have work at the company for 15 years. I deal with health and safety and a group of customers. Just before i went on holiday some of our customer sites computers obtained a virus and had no back ups. Customers undertake the backups. My MD thinks i'm holding out on him and had the back up's on my company laptop. which is not true. The long and short of it I now have a verbal warning. I was sent a letter dated 16th july 2010 i had a meeting prior to the letter but it was not stated it was a diserplinary hearing and a verbal was not given. not as the company hand book states Paperwork i have never in the last 10 years filled out paper work for non charing jobs. i have now been told to fill out dockets for all jobs plus travel. no other managers fill out paper work for non cost jobs and no other employee fills out travel time. i feel i am being singled out. We add a vaccum lift device on demo to see if it will work for us and reduce manual handling risk. The machine tured up wit no instructions so i rang the supplier to found out the operation. this was so i could, see if it would lift our machines and 2 to do a risk assessment. this by he way was not brought up at the meeting. the md can down and tried the machine. There was some debate on lifting boxes and the machine seal and i said try and broke the seal then. Anyway the md tried to break the seal and i ended up with a facial injury. i saw this as both our faults. The data on our customers pc's contain name, address, phone no., car and reg should we be taking backups of this data nder data potection? new hand book just issued after meeting and states this book takes effect from 1 october 2004 if i wish to appeal the warning i must follow the grievance proceedor and the hank book states follow the appeal proceedor. I feel very sthitched up with the warning and what to know legally where i stand. thanking you in advanced
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/24/2010
Solicitor: Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate replied 8 years ago
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
What do you really want to do?

I wish to know

if we are breaking data protect by copying our customers data files

where i stand regarding the company not carring out correct proceedures and hearing etc

where i stand singling me out to log travel time.

and how to get the warning off my record

cheers

l

Hiya,

I am sorry to hear about your difficulties. It does rather appear that you should appeal against the notice on your record. As you have correctly noted this will be set out in your staff handbook and you should follow this to the letter. You should also keep records of eveything that happens in case it is necessary in the future for this matter to go off to the Employment Tribunal.

It also appears that you compant is not correctly complying with datat protection regulations - and further it looks like you may need to set up internally a process for logging datad going forward.

I have attached herewith a link to the Data Protection Act and the guidance that you need in this regard:-

http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_organisations/data_protection_guide.aspx

I hope that this helps

Please remember to PRESS ACCEPT