UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

Hi, Three months ago I was contacted by Tucan Claims to see…

Customer Question
Hi, Three months ago I was...
Three months ago I was contacted by Tucan Claims to see if they could help getting compensation for mis-sold credit cards etc. After a long conversation with them I decided to go ahead, there was an up fron refundable fee of £249.99 which I paid by debit card over the phone. When they sent me out a claim pack I read over it and then decided not to go ahead. I sent back the forms the next day and asked for my fee to be refunded. This was on the 29 April, I got a letter back on the 30th April advising me that the refund would be made within the next 30 days.
Since then I have sent emails, I have phoned their office about 6 times asking for my refund, I got a phonecall from them on the 8th June advising me the cheque would go out the next day, I never received it, I rang again on the 15th June, I was told it did go out but must have got lost in the post and they would send another one out, that did not arrive either, I rang again yesterday and was told in quite an abrubt manner that it would be sent out recorded delivery and I would get an email with the tracking number. I got the feeling that I was being fobbed off again.
Could you advise me who I can go to for help.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/23/2010
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 8 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Who have you contacted at their office?
I rang their customer services, on my last call yesterday, they said they would advise the Manager about the refund.

If they have already agreed a refund then this should be simple to enforce.

Just write to them once asking for this sum to be paid within 7 days. if it is not, just sue them at the small claims court here

www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

its really cheap to do that and quite firstly now too.

If its as you say then you will win.

I live in Nothern Ireland and their company is in England, I am pretty sure that I would have to live in England to make a small claim through the courts as I was advised once before that Northern Ireland has no jurisdiction in England.

Yes, y ou would.

I don't know anything about ireland so I'll opt out for others.

But I need to know if it is possible to pursue a small claim if I live in Northern Ireland (UK) and the company I wish to make the claim against is in England.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Hi, Three months ago I was contacted by Tucan Claims to see if they could help getting compensation for mis-sold credit cards etc. After a long conversation with them I decided to go ahead, there was an up fron refundable fee of £249.99 which I paid by debit card over the phone. When they sent me out a claim pack I read over it and then decided not to go ahead. I sent back the forms the next day and asked for my fee to be refunded. This was on the 29 April, I got a letter back on the 30th April advising me that the refund would be made within the next 30 days. Since then I have sent emails, I have phoned their office about 6 times asking for my refund, I got a phonecall from them on the 8th June advising me the cheque would go out the next day, I never received it, I rang again on the 15th June, I was told it did go out but must have got lost in the post and they would send another one out, that did not arrive either, I rang again yesterday and was told in quite an abrubt manner that it would be sent out recorded delivery and I would get an email with the tracking number. I got the feeling that I was being fobbed off again. Could you advise me which body I can go to for help