UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

Hope you can help!! We purchased a new build property from…

Customer Question
Hope you can help!!...
Hope you can help!! We purchased a new build property from Barretts in 2007, we didnt move into the property until Jan 2008. We contacted Barretts a month or so after moving in as they had not told us who our electricity supplier was, they told us E On who we contacted but they had no account of us. We got back in touch with Barretts and they informed us that we would have a bill sent to us soon enough. We have just recieved that bill 2 and half years later at £3,200. What is our legal position with paying the bill, do we have to pay the full amount and can we pay it in installments?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/23/2010
Solicitor: DR Lawyer, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
DR Lawyer
DR Lawyer, Lawyer
Good evening,

You are obliged, subject to having used the electricity and Eon being able to prove it, to pay the bill I am afraid. I have a client who is an electricity company (not Eon) and have done lots of cases for them to recover fees in exactly the same circumstances and there is not really a Defence if the electricity has been used. The only potential Defence is estoppel (legal word) but you would have to show that you had been led to believe that you would not be charged or it had been lower and had done something as a result to your detriment. I cannot see that working I am afraid on the facts that you have recited.

Regards

DR Lawyer
Do we have to pay the bill in a lump sum or can we can to an agreement around installments?

Legally you have to pay the bill on one lump sum but in practice my experience of these cases is that the utility companies will give you time to pay. If you were taken to the count court for the debt you could file and admission and request for time to but this would result in a CCJ!

Regards

DR Lawyer