UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I have been offered a role which has been deemed a reasonable…

Customer Question
I have been offered a...
I have been offered a role which has been deemed a reasonable match. However, the role I believe is of a lower skilled level. Can this be forced?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/24/2010
Solicitor: Chris_H, Solicitor replied 8 years ago
Chris_H
Chris_H, Solicitor
I take it the are offering to pay you the same? You are entitled to reject the position if you don't want it and still to claim redundancy unless your original contract provides that you can be moved to different roles. You are also entitled to a 4 week trial before deciding whether you want to keep the job and are still then entitled to redundancy if you decide not.
They have also requested that I complete a flexible working option in support of a condensed week i.e. working 35 hours per week over 4 days. However, I understand that a flexible working option application is only if you are changing your hours? I am not changing my hours/shift, I returned on these hours from maternity leave in 2008 and only changed them on a 5 day week temporarily recently. I have made it clear through change of hours submission and consultation that I could only do this temporarily (to support a temp position to end of June) as I could not support the child-care costs on an ongoing basis. They advised that I can return to this for a 3 month trial and if I complete the application. However, I fear that if I complete the flexible working option they then reserve the right to refuse / change.
I also have to give 30 days notice at my child's nursery to apply any changes so I don't want to agree to anything until I know what I'm letting myself in for.
I just feel as if they are forcing me in to a role that doesn't match what I was doing before in both skill and shift but are forcing in to avoid pay out. The role is 75% a lesser skill which, I do not want to do. They are even saying it's the same title as what mine was even though all other managers are called 'Credit Control Managers'.
I can't afford to refuse it and loose my redundancy money but I don't want to stay either.