UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

Hi there, Please could you asssit me with the follwoing question…

Customer Question
Hi there, Please could you asssit...
Hi there,
Please could you asssit me with the follwoing question regarding Wills:- My uncle died recently and four years ago he drafted a will and in the will he appointed me and my brother as the executors of the estate and bequeathed the house to me and the residual of the estate to my brother.

Before he died however he prepared a letter to his solicitors requesting them to please urgently change his Will so that large portions of money would be distributed to all of his family members including myself and my brother - the house would have to be sold to give effect to this request.

Please let me know if we are obliged to follow through with this request or if we have to follow the original will. If we follow the original will will family members who were the named beneficiaries be able to object?

I would really appreciate your assistance with this.

Thank you XXXXX
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/23/2010
Solicitor: Senior Partner, Solicitor replied 8 years ago
Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Do I assume that he did not execute a new will? did he execute the will four years ago?

He didnt execute a new will properly it was a letter written to his lawyers stating that he was of sound mind and saying that he would like to change his will and set out how he would like to distribute it. It was witnessed by a nurse in he hospital. My brother would like to go with his new wishes and obviously there will be a significant financial difference for me (the house is worth approximatly 250 000 and in the letter he left me only 30 000). The remainder of his estate in the letter would go to my brother.

I need to know if there are any grounds in which the Will (which was properly executed in front of solicitor etc) can be contested by my brother (who is also an executor) or any of the named beneficiaries in the letter.

Alternatively should I try and negotiate a settlement with my brother - I think a big family fued is about to break out.

Thank you for your help.

If he did not execute the new will then it is not enforceable. If anyone was financially dependent on him then they might be able to make a claim on the estate but otherwise the valid will should stand.