UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

Could you please advise me on grandparents rights, as we are…

Customer Question
Could you please advise me...
Could you please advise me on grandparents rights, as we are going through a rough patch at the moment and do not think it is in the best interest of our children to have any contact with there paternal grandparents
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/22/2010
Solicitor: DR Lawyer, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
DR Lawyer
DR Lawyer, Lawyer
Good evening,

Grandparents have a legal right under the Children Act to apply to the Court for a Contact Order to allow them to have contact with the children. You would be entitled to make submissions to the Court and put in evidence as to why you would not want them to have contact with the children. The Court would then make a decision.

Regards

DR Lawyer

I already knew that, but we have been harrassed by these people for the best part of 4 years now. The mother drives past me on the street shouting out abuse at me and making rude hand gestures. They have also sent another member of the family up to our house who then strangled my partner over this. We as parents do not feel it is the best interest for our children to have contact with them, how do we stand?

Your question as I read it is where do you stand if they make an application for contact. You can refuse their request to have contact and if it goes to court then you need to put in a statement setting out what you have said to me above and anything else relevant. if this is proven then I think the court would be unlikely to allow them contact based on what you have said.

Regards

DR Lawyer