UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

i have moved out of my rented property but my ex partner is…

Customer Question
i have moved out of...
i have moved out of my rented property but my ex partner is still there. the contract doesnt finish until january next year. will i have to still have to pay my half of the rent each month
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/22/2010
Solicitor: Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate replied 8 years ago
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
Is it in joint names

yes we are both on the contract but he's still living there. im on low income and having to pay rent were im living now. i dont want to pay half the rent and him still live there.i just dont have the money. am i paying £11 per question.

Hiya,

The difficulty you have is that you will both be jointly and severably liable for the rent irrespective of whether you leave the property or not. If you do not pay the rent then you can be sued for the money owed by the landlord. You will need to negotiate with your ex to determine whether a deal can be agreed and or whether he can take in a lodger

happy to discuss

Please remember to PRESS ACCEPT