UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I am living in Supported accommodation due to various reasons…

Customer Question
I am living in Supported...
I am living in Supported accommodation due to various reasons and the staff have been stealing from my home. They have entry due to ahving double keys. The management are not interested in assisting me and all throughout the few years have only covered themselves and have relyed on Mental Health statements as means of not assisting me. In fact, they have now started to say that it is me that has a grudge against them. What do you suggest?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/22/2010
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 8 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister

Do you have any evidence of the theft?

The evidence that I have found that my flat has been entered without my permission is a strand of hair that I found which does not belong to me, I have spoken to a solicitor of which they stated that I could have the Hair strand undergo a DNA test.

Additionally, I have tried to ask Social Services to take an inventory of my belongings so that they would know for themselves lists of items that go missing.

A strand of hair, in itself, does not contain DNA. It needs to have skin follicles at the bottom for DNA to be obtained.

If you believe there has been a theft, you need to report this to the police in the conventional way and the SOCO officers will conduct any tests they believe to be necessary.

Is it possible that finger prints can be found on the strand of hair in a lab?

If NO, what else can I do to catch the thief? I believe that the staff are tampering with their CCTV, do you have any suggestions, as the police have already attended my home and found no fingerprints.

No. Fingerprints wouldn't be found on that surface.

Forensic linking is unlikely in this case. Crime was prosecuted before forensics were discovered.

But sometimes investigations do fail.

Relist: Answer quality.
it does not stop the robberies, and does not allow me an opportunity to catch them in the act.
Relist: Answer quality.
OK. Good luck.
Relist: Incomplete answer.

Sorry, what part of what you asked do you think has not been answered?

Its as I said. Crime happens. It cannot always be stopped. The police cannot be perfect. They certainly cannot get fingerprints from a strand of hair!!!

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister

Personally, I think that you are rude and will be putting in a complaint.

A Solicitor gave me that information, and therefore I find your manners unbecoming of a Barrister. I am actually a Paralegal and I think that you lack manners and should address your decourum.

I'm terribly sorry about that.

You say a solicitor told you that fingerprints could be found on a strand of hair?

I'll opt out of this for others.

I have just had the information seconded. Therefore, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX stick with my solicitor's advice and information.

.